Friday, August 20, 2010

Networking question:How can I be sure I'm not allowing others to access my computer via my wireless network?

I was just looking at my network configurations, and I wanted to know how I can be sure I'm not allowing my neighbors and/or others to access my computer without my permission. I access the internet via a hardwired connection; however, I also have a wireless connection and router that is hooked up.





Thanks!Networking question:How can I be sure I'm not allowing others to access my computer via my wireless network?
There is a place in the network router setup where it asks if you want to use a WEP password to protect the access to your network. Just say yes and put in a password so bizarre that only you will remember it. Then access by others should not worry you. As an alternative you could put in ';Use MAC filtering'; which requires you to list the MAC address on your computer's network card so that only a computer with that card address can get into the network. If you are extra worried then use both techniques.








Unless some guy from NSA is rummaging around to wiretap and make sure you are not a terrorist and not donating to the other political party, then no one will be snooping on your network.Networking question:How can I be sure I'm not allowing others to access my computer via my wireless network?
Turn off file sharing on your computer.





Limit the access that other people have to your network.
The most important thing when setting up a wireless connection is to secure it. There is Wep/Wpa encryption, if I were you I will use WPA which is more secure. If you wan't to make it more secure you can use Mac Filtering.
it very easy to set up your security features on your router,just type in its IP address(in this case)192.168.1.1 wich is a generic address for all routers(or default) once you do that it might prompt you to enter a login name and password in wich case it would also be a generic login name like ';admin'; and ';admin'; for the password, find the wireles security tab and make sure its set to ';wep'; save all setting by pressing ';apply'; good luck tinkering!
As long as it's a public network and file sharing is off you are fine. :)
When you set up your wireless be sure to turn on the encryption and put your own encryption code in it

No comments:

Post a Comment