Friday, August 20, 2010

How can I learn politics (networking) in my community?

It's almost impossible to get a job in my town because I don't know anybody. (not my hometown). How can I train myself to network without being fake or going against morals.How can I learn politics (networking) in my community?
Depending on how you are, find an official you believe in, and see if you can volunteer to help that person. If you do, maintain a friendliness, a professional attitude, and be willing to help as often as you can. Do not let them take advantage of your good nature, but be patient, give it time, and it will help if they see your qualifications.





A veteran volunteer can normally spot someone just interested in getting a job, but they can also sense sincere interest.





Join the party of your choice if it will help--either as a Young Republican/Democrat, et al or as a member of that party's main group.





Call party HQ and see if they can use your help come Election Day...many need help with people as runners, etc.





Look into local community service groups like Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary if you are over 18, or Circle K (in a college), KEY Club in a High school, etc.





Be willing to do community service, and do it without mentioning you are looking for a job...do it because you want to help other people...





Be willing to write this same letter to leaders of the community, but doing it in a way that says you want to help, and you want to advance your career...and ask them what kind of advice, not what kind of job, they can give you...





The key to networking is DO NOT BE AFRAID TO NETWORK...TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS OR THAT, IN THEM, OR WHATEVER, the best training is doing it...and knowing, if you are doing the right thing, and believing in a spiritual power, the spiritual power will guide you into the right door.





Trust your instincts...I have always said those who complain it is not who you know but what you know never took the 5 minutes it can take to get to know someone.





Hope this helps.





Jay W.How can I learn politics (networking) in my community?
You need to get out more. Got to City Council meetings-that's a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment